Friday, June 03, 2011

Observing certain flight maneuvers

There are various maneuvers that student pilots have to learn. Learning various maneuvers, the specific maneuvers required vary depending on the rating, is an important part of pilot training. Or for training for a commercial rating or to be a certified flight instructor (CFI).

Specific maneuvers teach certain skills, and the student has to be proficient in the required maneuvers as they may be required to demonstrate these maneuvers as a part of their testing to get their pilot certificate or for later ratings.

I recently went on a scenic flight with Mike, a pilot/CFI where Mike demonstrated certain maneuvers, two were more advanced maneuvers that private pilots do not learn but are required for commercial pilots and CFI's. Mike and I had talked prior to this flight about the maneuvers that he would show me, so I was able to read up on these maneuvers prior to our flight.

Before writing about these maneuvers, I need to talk about stalls.I first wrote about aircraft lift and stalls over two years ago. Since that time, I have been to aviation ground school and passed the FAA private pilot written exam. So, I have a better idea of what a stall is. In thinking about how to provide a reference for stalls, I liked what TL Stein told me in this article from March 2009  so rather then reinvent the wheel, I am referencing that article:

stall speed for an aircraft is the speed where the forward speed of the aircraft is not producing enough air flow over the wings to produce life or support the airplane at its altitude. When a pilot is landing an aircraft, the plane is just over stall speed. ... the faster the air moves over the wing, the more lift is created Air speed is in direct relation to life. Lift enables flight. Lose lift and the aircraft sinks. When the forward airspeed no longer produces enough low pressure over the top of the wing to sustain flight . . . this is stall.

There is a nice animation on aircraft stall that may be found here.

With that as background, I will turn to writing about some maneuvers that Mike demonstrated for me, chandelles, steep turns, and power-off and power-on stalls in an article that I will post next Wednesday, June 8. These and other maneuvers required for the private pilot, CFI and commercial pilots ratings are covered in detail in an excellent publication by ASA (Aviation Supplies and Academics, Inc.) called Visualized Flight Maneuvers Handbook. I have the edition for high winged aircraft. I understand that there is one for low winged aircraft as well. I have a hard copy that is small enough to fit in a flight bag, I do not know if you can purchase an electronic file. I got my copy through my local airport.

No comments: