Monday, June 20, 2011

Mannis Duck Pond Fire (June 10-11) Warton State Forest NJ


A line of thunderstorms moved through NJ Thursday night June 9 (and possibly another line on June 10). From what I understand these thunderstorms did not necessarily produce a lot of rain. However, fire towers in the NJ Pine Barrens spotted a small fire in a remote section of the Warton State Forest in the Pine Barrens about 2 PM on Friday, June 10. It appears that this fire may have been caused by lightening. From what I understand, the fire was about five to eight acres when the first crews with trucks arrived. Burnout operations were conducted by NJ Forest Fire Service crews.

Burnout operations were completed by about 11 PM and the fire was declared under control at 6 AM on June 11. The fire, dubbed the Mannis Duck Pond fire burned 152 acres (including burn out operations).

For more information on this fire, see the Wildand Fire Hotlist on Mannis Duck Pond Fire.

The map that I included here was done by Trevor Raynor of the NJ Forest Fire Service and was obtained from NJ Incident Management Team Map of Mannis Duck Pond Fire

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Tyler, thanks for the credit! I check your site frequently because I enjoy seeing your report on NJ activity. It was a great surprise to see my work published here. If you need anything in the future, I'll be sure to help if I can! Keep up the good work,
Trevor Raynor

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Trevor,

I loved the detail you provided on the map of the Mannis Duck Pond Fire. It is my pleasure to give you credit, the least I could do.:-)

I know where the Batso River is, and I believe that the Mannis Duck Pond fire was east of 206. But I don't think I'm real familiar with that section of Warton.

I love writing about NJ activity. I think that the NJFFS does great work. Stay safe out there.

Tyler