Saturday, April 07, 2012

Wildfires in Camden County NJ: final update



Yesterday I reported here and here on what turned out to be two wildfires, one small and one large, in a wildlife management area in Camden County, NJ. First, a correction to yesterday's first article. There were two helos on the fire, one was doing observations and the second did have a bucket. I don't know how long the Air Tractor 602, Charlie-1 worked the fire, but based on what my friends at Downstown Aero told me last night I believe it was longer than two hours. Don't know how much longer, perhaps into the afternoon?

When I got home last night, I found a situation report on the wildland fire hotlists reporting that the larger fire known as the Winslow Fire was at 90% containment at about 8 PM last night with an expected size of about 375 acres. For more information see an Atlantic City Press article, this article from the Asbury Park Press, and this article from the Courier Post The Courier Post article does have a link to the video, shot yesterday, that I embedded here. Kudos to all those who fought this fire on the ground (NJFFS and local firefighters) and those in the air (Downstown and the helo pilot).

RED FLAG WARNINGS are up for NJ, and adjoining areas of PA, NY, DE, and MD from 10 AM today through 8 PM tonight. A fire weather watch for the same areas is up for tomorrow, Easter Sunday.

No comments: