Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Colorado wildfires update #3

I've been listening to live feed from the Tower at Rocky Mountain Municipal Airport (KBJC) aka Jeffco which houses a tanker base. Listening to these feeds is part of an ongoing exercise to increase my knowledge of aviation radio communications. So, I thought I'd have a little fun and listen to the feed from KBJC. I have been hearing some communications between the Tower at KBJC and the tanker(s) loading out of KBJC. Given that there continues to be a lot of major wildfire activity involving air tankers and helos and that I am listening to the KBJC Tower feed from Live ATC, it feels like a no brainer for me to provide this update about two fires currently burning in Colorado.

I know enough from listening to ATC feed that at least one of the tankers currently loading out of KBJC is T-174, from Saskatchewan. Was hearing reference to T-175 (also from Saskatchewan) earlier today, but not recently. Thanks to my friends from Canada for helping us out! I understand that there are other tankers and helos working theColorado fires asides from the two that I have mentioned, some reloading out of other tanker bases. As I said, I only noted references on the Live ATC feed from KBJC to T-174 and T-175, there may have been others that I did not pick up on.

I posted on the High Park Fire last Friday.

The High Park Fire continues to burn, and is at about 65 percent containment as I write this. It has burned 87,284 acres to date.

I've been hearing about the Waldo Fire, started on Saturday, June 23. The fire has burned 15,517 acres and is 5 % contained. Houses have been burned and evacuation orders are in place. In addition, I understand that this fire is burning near the Air Force Academy.

Edited on July 27, 2017: The videos that I embedded here are no longer available. Sorry.

Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today continues to provide excellent coverage of these wildfires, and other wildfire activity. There are numerous posts, that you can check out including but not limited to:

No comments: