Monday, November 12, 2012

Superstorm Sandy -- I'm back

I got my electric power back early evening on Friday, Nov 9. Eleven days without power. All that happened to me was some minor property damage that has since been repaired. A tree down that did no damage to utility wires or house. I am lucky. As I said to a friend this morning, all that happened to me was losing power. So many in NJ and elsewhere on the mid-atlantic coast and New England lost everything. The images that I saw in my newspaper of the devastation to the barrier islands of NJ and elsewhere do not do justice to the devastation. For them the recovery will take months, if not longer.

My arborist spent the better part of ten days just removing trees from roofs. Others lost much of their roof shingles during the storm, we only lost two or three and they have been replaced. Again, I am so fortunate,

I do want to take a couple of posts to thank the tree crews and the utility crews from around the country and from our friends in Canada who have been in NJ for two weeks or longer helping us get power back. Some of these crews arrived a couple of days before the storm to be ready to help us. I do have some pictures that I'll be posting as well. I'll be writing to thank the tree crews tomorrow, Nov. 13 and will write to thank the utility crews on Nov. 14.


No comments: