Monday, November 05, 2012

Superstorm Sandy - one week later

It is now one week after "Superstorm Sandy made landfall in New Jersey. I am sure that most, if not all of you, have heard some of the media coverage of this event. It is not my intent to rehash that coverage here. Rather, I am checking in to tell all of you that I am in day 7 without power. Our power went out within 30 minutes after Sandy made landfall in southern NJ.

I am hanging in, A little cold at times. Minimal property damage, We are lucky. I have good neighbors, and some powered friends nearby who have been a big help doing things like recharged the back-up battery for the sump pump in the basement, showers, hot coffee, refilling jugs of water, etc. The nearest town is mostly powered by now with grocery stores, restaurants, home improvement stores, other stores, gas stations (albeit with lines at times), recharging and wifi stations, free water and ice.

I am not quite sure how much longer our power will be out. And it is possible that we will get power restored and still not have internet service. So, I'll post back here where when my power and internet is restored.

I am writing this from a warm place with wifi access although the wifi is somewhat intermittent. If I am able, I'll try to post another couple of articles that will automatically post the week of Nov 12.

In the meantime, I want to take a few moments to thank all the utility crews, both in state and out of state who are working very hard to restore power to all of us in NJ. I'd especially like to thank the crew from Sarasota FL who was on my street last night who was doing assessments of the probable cause of my outage in advance of bucket crews coming through.

No comments: