Monday, July 01, 2013

Tragic loss of 19 wildland firefighters while fighting the Yarnell Fire (Prescott AZ)

I woke up this morning to the very tragic news about the death of 19 wildland firefighters while fighting the Yarnell Fire near Prescott AZ on Sunday, June 30, 2013. I'm not sure if all 19 were members of the Granite Mountain Hotshot crew, but I believe that most of the were. As I understand it, the Granite Mountain Hotshots are also members of the Prescott AZ fire department, I'd like to take the opportunity to express my grief over this tragedy. I offer my thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, and colleagues of those who died.

For more info, Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today covered the death of the firefighters fighting the Yarnell Fire here, and provides an historical perspective of multiple deaths of wildland firefighters here.

The Arizona Daily Daily Sun out of Flagstaff AZ reports on the Yarnell tragedy in an update just before midnight local time. The Daily Courier out of Prescott AZ reports on the tragedy here. In addition, I suspect that many of you may have already seen reports on major national media outlets.

Gary Varvel a cartoonist for the Indystar drew a tear jerking cartoon in tribute to the nineteen fallen firefighters, it may be found here.

Always Remember! on the Yarnell Hill tragedy
Facebook page in memory of Prescott Firefighters lost on June 30
Wildland Fire hotlist Yarnell Fire Fatalities condolence thread
The Wildland Firefighter Foundation works with families of fallen firefighters

Out of respect for this tragic loss of life at the Yarnell Fire, I have removed the article that I posted early in the evening on June 30 that included a video report from a Colorado TV station with an inside look at how wildland firefighting crews fight fires.

Revised  at 12:50 and 5:55 PM PM on July 1, 2013

No comments: