Friday, October 31, 2014

Historic fire fighting train

I have always liked trains, especially older trains. I grew up hearing my parents talking about cross-country train trips they took in the late 40s and early 50s, wondering what it was like to ride the rails in those days. And I used to have an atlas showing historic train routes in the United States which I lost in a move some years back. I have taken a couple of over night train trips, a lot of fun. Anyway, I digress.

As I was wondering what to write about today, I came upon this video of a historic fire fighting train. I don't know the location, perhaps out west somewhere? Nor do I know the time period. But I loved the video.


direct link to video on youtube

I got curious about trains used for firefighting, whether trains are still being used. Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today posted a nice article over four years ago on fire fighting with a train. Bill did a nice job, chock full of information that you rail buffs and firefighting buffs will enjoy.

No comments: