Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Other wildfires in Alaska

As I had been following the Sockeye wildfire near Willow Alaska (35 to 40 miles north of Anchorage), I got interested in some of the other wildfires currently burning in Alaska. So, I thought I'd write about some of the wildfires here.

I found information on the fires that I mention in this article from Alaska Wildland Fire Information, among other places. I also found information for somethe Card Street Fire and the fire burning near Dot Lake from the Alaska DNR - Division of Forestry Facebook page as well as the Alaska Interagency Management Team Facebook Page

Card Street Fire


direct link to video from KTVA on Youtube

The Card Street Fire started on the afternoon of June 15th, and as burned an estimated 2,000 acres to date. The Card Street Fire is burning near the town of Sterling on the Kenai Pensula about 55 miles southwest of Anchorage, evacuations are in place. I understand that Airtankers dropped on the fire.



Tanana Slough Fire

The Tanana Slough Fire was started by lightning on Sunday June 14, 2015 according to the Alaska Wildland Fire Information report on June 16th. It is near Dot Lake, which is near Tok Alaska. Also see this article from the Alaska Republic. To date this fire has burned approximately 500 acres.

Chisana River 2 Fire

The Chisana River 2 Fire (25 miles west of Beaver Creek, Yukon, Canada) in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park has burned 8,668 acres.

No comments: