Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Aviation History: 555th Parachute Battalion (Smokejumpers)

A couple of days ago, thanks to Mike Archer's Wildfire News of the Day Newsletters, I learned about the 55th Parachute Battalion aka smokejumpers, that served at the end of World War II. There is a nice write-up with a video on this military.com webpage. The 555th Parachute Battalion aka the "triple nickles" were based in the Pacific Northwest in World War II on a highly classified mission to protect the Pacific Northwest from incendiary Japanese balloon bombs. These balloon bombs were designed to ignite firestorms. I don't exactly know if the Japanese used these balloon bombs, but I believe that the "triple nickle" helped to fight wildfires in the Pacific Northwest and were eventually called smoke jumpers.

I was not able to embed the video about the "triple nickles" that was shared on this military.com webpage. But I was able to find this Facebook post from the US Army.



No comments: