Friday, February 23, 2018

Wildfire Detection Notification App at work in Tulsa OK WFO

After the launch of GOES-R in the fall of 2016, later known as GOES-16 and now known as GOES East, I spent some time over the winter and spring of 2017 learning a little about the capabilities of GOES-16, how this satellite will improve weather forecasting,  and finally learning a little about how GOES-16 and her sister satellites (GOES-S is due to launch in March 2018) are able to improve detections of wildfires. The result of these endeavors was an eight-part series: Application of GOES-16 for wildfire detection. In part 2, I introduced the Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI) in the GOES-R series of satellites with a video from NASA on the ABI. In part 3 I shared three examples of improved imagery with GOES-16.

With that as background and I moved on to writing about the Wildfire Detection Notification App (WFDN), developed by the National Weather Service (NWS) Norman OK Weather Forecast Office (WFO) in February 2016. In part 5 of my series on the Application of GOES-16 for wildfire detection I wrote about the WFDN Application, an application that uses GOES-16 for wildfire detection, that article may be found here.

I was very excited when the following video report from News On 6 out of Tulsa Oklahoma came across my desk this morning. The News On 6 video report is about how the the WFDN App is being used in the area served by the NWS Tulsa Oklahoma Weather Forecast Office (WFO), one of the NWS offices using the WFDN App (see part 6).The video is short, just under two minutes. My friend from the NWS Norman WFO liked the video report and agreed that I should share this with you. You will see how the WFDN helped first responders quickly respond to a grass fire in Mayes County in northeast Oklahoma last week.

No comments: