Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Wildfire Activity in Southern Great Plains - Oklahoma (March 16 - 21)


I want to return to the spring wildfire season in the Oklahoma area of the Southern Great Plains. Fortunately, I am able to access the Oklahoma Forestry Service’s (OFS) Daily Situation Reports for March 16 through March 21, 2018 (and earlier) on the OFS Fire News Blog.  As I understand it, this blog is update daily with the previous day’s report, sometimes the current day’s report may be found there as well. I like this blog because it gives me a quick way to find out about wildfires in Oklahoma from afar. While I am not writing about wildfires in other areas of the Southern Great Plains, I know that they exist. Those of you who are interested in the current wildfire situation in the Southern Great Plains may want to check out the current Morning Report from the Southern Area Coordination Center (under Southern Area Products).

Before moving on, I do want to write a quick follow-up to the Stateline Fire that I wrote about in my blog on March 14th. According to an article from the Denver Post (March 18th) the Stateline Fire was mostly contained on March 18th at 28,105 acres in three states: Colorado (10,333 acres), New Mexico (17,500 acres) and Oklahoma (112 acres). The Southwest Coordination Center is reporting today (via the map on their homepage) that the Stateline Fire is at 100 percent containment.

The current OFS Daily Situation Report may be found on on this OFS webpage.  

Unless otherwise indicated, I am relying on the OFS Daily Situation Reports for March 16 through March 21, 2018.

Focusing on Oklahoma wildfires (many are probably grass fires) reported during the period from March 16 to 21, I see that there have been many wildfires of varying sizes reported during this period. Several of these are wildfires of at least 1,000 acres including but not limited to:


No comments: