Monday, July 15, 2019

wildland firefighter safety: weather

I started writing about wildland firefighter safety last month, see this article for a synopsis including links to earlier articles in this series. One of the important considerations for wildland firefighter safety is weather. I am embedding another video from the WFSTAR series from the National Wildfire Coordinating Group. My understanding is that the WFSTAR series of videos are used in wildland firefighter training, initial and/or refresher training. I have embedded WFSTAR videos in some of my earlier articles in this series.

Today's video is called Weather and Wind Warnings. In the video, you will hear Heath Hockenberry, National Fire Weather Program Leader, discuss weather and wind warnings and how to stay weather aware. While perhaps aimed at wildland firefighters, I think that anyone interested in wildland firefighting and how wildland firefighters stay safe will enjoy this video. And any weather geeks, like me, will also enjoy the video. In addition to discussing weather and wind warnings, Heath refers to Incident Meteorologists (IMETs) when these specially training National Weather Service Meteorologists are deployed to wildfires. I learned how wildland firefighters stay weather aware whether or not an IMET is deployed to their fire.

If a wildfire does not have an IMET deployed to their wildfire, incident commanders, supervisors and and others will be in touch with the local National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office for forecasts and as appropriate spot forecasts specific to the area where the wildfire is. The forecasts will be relayed to wildland firefighters in assembled briefings and/or over the radio.

After I saw Heath's video on weather and wind warnings, I wrote my friends at the IMET Office telling them what I was doing and asking Heath the following question:

Random Ramblings: Heath, what is one thing that you would like my readers to take away from this video?

Heath: I would say one of the key items found in the video is the section on personal responsibility. Your meteorologist's forecast can take you 90% of the way in understanding the type of conditions you can expect on a fire line. The last 10% of the way consists of watching for cumulus buildups, or watching the tops of the trees, or being aware of subtle changes in wind speeds and/or directions. Weather in complex terrain is highly variable and your IMET is there to provide the fire environment foundation. The actual experience of the weather rests upon that foundation, and personal situational assessment is key to minimize fire fighting dangers related to weather.

Allow just under thirteen minutes to watch the video. I don't know about, you I watched the video a couple of times.


Direct link to Weather and Wind Warnings from Youtube

I am still thinking about and doing background research for other articles in this series on wildland firefighter safety. Stay tuned.

No comments: