Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Reflections on smaller SEATs Part 1 (300 to 799 gallon tanks): Downstown

It has been my very great privilege to get to know the folk at Downstown Aero Crop Services out of Vineland New Jersey over the last 9 years or so. Downstown has had contracts with the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) since 1967 up to and including 2019. That is forty-two years. As I write this, I am not sure about the status of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service contracts for aerial wildland firefighting for 2020.

With the exception of a visit to Ramona Air Attack Base in 2011, the only tankers that I have met up close and personal have been Downstown's SEATs.

Downstown started using Ag Cats for wildland firefighting under contract with the New Jersey State Forest Fire Service in 1967. When I visited the Air Attack Base in northern New Jersey in 2013, Downstown had some Ag Cats on contract with the NJFFS for the spring 2013 wildfire season, and I would like to show you a couple of photos from that visit. I do love the Ag Cats.

Ag Cats at  the NJ Forest Fire Service Air Attack Base in 2013

Ag Cats at  the NJ Forest Fire Service Air Attack Base in 2013
Since I took these photos in 2013, Downstown no longer uses Ag Cats for aerial wildland firefighting, but they continue to use Air Tractors. Here are a couple of photos of a Downstown Air Tractor 602 that I took in 2012.




Finally here is a short video of one of Downstown's Air Tractors dropping on a wildfire in the Cape May area of New Jersey area in 2013.


Direct link to video

I hope to be writing more reflections about smaller SEATs, stay tuned.

No comments: