Monday, March 30, 2020

Reflections on wildland firefighting and other emergency responders during a national emergency

As I write this post today, with the exception of essential trips, I have been sheltering-in-place for the last three to four weeks. I started this to be sure I was healthy for a cataract surgery earlier this month. Then Covid-19 cases ramped up in the United States, including my part of the country, so I took sheltering in place more seriously.

I did think about trying to write something about how the Covid-19 pandemic might affect wildland firefighting. I finally decided that such an article would be time consuming to research to try to get the best information for you. But more important, writing such an article is beyond my knowledge and capabilities. I suspect that all or most of you have seen various federal and local websites devoted to Covid-19 along with local journalism. Those of you who are wildland firefighters may, undoubtedly, know more than I about where to find information on how you handle Covid-19 and other infectious diseases on the fireline. So, If you are here looking for such information, I leave you to your own devices to find the information you are looking for. 

So, why am I mentioning Covid-19 at all? I mention this virus to provide a context for this post that I am writing in the middle of this pandemic.

I write this post for wildland firefighters who are considered essential workers along with structure firefighters, law enforcement personnel, EMT’s and ambulance drivers, medical personnel, National Guard troops, and other first responders.

I want all of you who are first responders, including but not limited to wildland firefighters to know that I am paying attention. I can only imagine the additional risks that wildland firefighters might be taking as you fight wildfires during a pandemic in order to keep us safe. I suspect that your training covers measures you can use to safe as you fight wildfires, whether it be on the ground, in the air, or the various support staff.

Wildfire season occurs at different times in different parts of the United States. The same may be true in your country. However, in some parts of the United States, the wildfire season never really ends.

I thank you, who are wildland firefighters and other first responders, for all you are doing, at added risk to yourself and your families, to keep us safe.

I thank the first responders in my town and elsewhere for your service, in my case some of you are volunteers for what you are doing to keep us safe.

To all wildland firefighters, on the ground and in the air, I think of you daily and will continue to keep you in thoughts and meditations as this pandemic continues.

No comments: