Monday, October 26, 2020

2020 wildfire season: red flag warnings through October 27

I first read about the current red flag warnings in this Washington Post article from the Capital Weather Gang (October 24th). These red flag warnings are in effect from October 25th through at least October 27th. I was not surprised because I knew from prior years that this is time of year when extreme fire danger can happen in California. Knowing of these red flag warnings, I went to Bill Gabbert's Wildfire Today site as a part of my daily routine of checking on current wildfire news. I saw that he had written a very nice article on Wildfire Today (October 24th) about these red flag warnings. He did his usual excellent job of reporting and I would urge you to check on his article. While I was checking Bill's site, I saw this October 26th article about the Silverado Fire which according to CAL Fire started today, evacuations are in place. Bill Gabbert has up to date information on wildfires that have started in the warned areas of California, you might want to check out his blog, Wildfire Today (on or about October 26-7) for current information.


Obtained on October 25, 2020 from https://www.weather.gov

I am not great on naming colors, but what I call the hot pink color refer to red flag warnings issued by the National Weather Service. I got a downloaded a couple of images from the Facebook page of the U.S. National Weather Service Office at Sacramento, California. The image about red flag warnings is probably an updated image of what Bill Gabbert shared on October 24th.

Obtained on October 26th from NWS Sacramento CA (Oct. 26)

Peak wind gusts posted by NWS Sacramento CA, October 26th 9AM PDT


No comments: