Monday, February 22, 2021

Wildland firefighters: a look at one firefighter's "line pack"

I was shared a video on February 17th about what one engine crew carried in 2014 when his engine was deployed to work a fire. I got curious about what a wildland firefighter on a hand crew (with possibly longer deployments) might carry. While I am not wildland firefighter, I know enough to know that there are certain gear that most wildland firefighters on a hand crew will carry in the pack they take with them on the line(water, first aid kit, extra batteries, fire shelter to name a few). I believe that this pack is called a "line pack." Of course, each crew is responsible for taking items that they will need on the line such as prescription medications, vitamins and supplements, personal hygiene items, snacks, etc. 

I want to be clear, I am curious and am taking you along on my journey. Nothing more, nothing less. I have watched a few videos, each is different. I chose this one to share because it is short and to the point. This is what one wildland firefighter from the Bureau of Land Management in the Pacific Northwest put in his line pack in 2013.


Direct link to video from BLM Oregon

No comments: