Monday, May 17, 2021

2021 NJ wildfire season: Little Egg Harbor Twnshp (Ocean) wildfire

10:16 AM update Thanks to 6ABC (WPVI), I just now listened to the Press Conference (live) from the NJ Forest Fire Service. I amm not sure if 6ABC has had a chance to update their report yet, but I took notes. Thanks to the efforts of the wildland firefighters last night, the acreage burned has been decreased to 617 acres at about 40 percent containment. Route 9 is reopened but I believe that local roads may still be closed. Thirty houses are threatened, down from 75 last night. They are hopeful for higher containment later today.

At about 11:45 AM 6ABC (WPVI) has updated their story to include a video from the NJFFS 10 AM press conference, see the link above. It appears that they are updating this report as the day progresses. In addition, NJ Advance Media published a second article at about 11:40 AM. Since I was relying on my notes when I wrote the paragraph above, I am relieved that they too reported that Route 9 has reopened and that there are thirty houses that are threatened. I will continue to monitor news of the wildfire, as I can through the afternoon.

9:47 AM Thanks to a breaking news alert from NJ Advance Media that I received this morning (May 17th), I learned of a wildfire in Little Egg Harbor Township on the border of Burlington and Ocean Counties. This wildfire was first reported yesterday afternoon at about 4 PM by the Bass River Fire Tower. On Sunday night it was estimated to have burned about 70 acres, by this morning the estimate of burned acreage had grown to about 1,000 acres. Voluntary evacuations are in place and an evacuation center has been set up at a local school. The fire is burning east of the Garden State Parkway with sections of Route 9, a major thoroughfare in the area, reported as being closed. No injuries have been reported. The New Jersey Forest Fire Service and local fire companies are working the fire.


6ABC (WPVI) in Philadelphia has a report this morning with a video that I will try to embed below. As always, I am never quite sure how long this video will be accessible, but it should be accessible for a few days. Full report from 6ABC (May 17th, 7:39 AM) including video. The Atlantic City Press is also covering this fire, their May 17th article may be found here (may have a paywall).


No comments: