Monday, December 20, 2021

Michigan fires of the late 19th and early 20th centuries: 1881 Thumb Fires (part 1)

 


In the course of background research for this series, I heard references to the thumb region of Michigan. Recall from my December 17th article that the thumb region was one of the regions burned in the 1871 fires. I was curious about the geography of this region so after a search on YouTube, I found this 15 minute video from Ms. Fraser of the Virtual Learning Academy of St. Clair (VLASC), I am not quite certain of their website so I am not going to guess, but they do have a YouTube Channel. I am not certain, but I wonder if they work with middle and/or high school students who are not attending in-person classes for some reason. Ms. Fraser did a video on the 1881 Thumb Fires for the VLASC, it is a little over 15 minutes. She has done good research including but not limited to used Sodder's book, Michigan on Fire. I am sharing this video now after writing about the 1871 Fires and before I write about the Thumb Fire (part 2) because I benefited by hearing her discussion in the beginning of the video about where the 1881 fires started as well as learning a little more about the geography of the Thumb region of Michigan. She spends some time discussing what caused the fires, the impact on people affected by the fires, and relief efforts including the work of the Red Cross which I will also write about in my coming article on the 1881 Thumb Fires, part 2 on December 22nd.


Direct link to video on YouTube from the Virtual Learning Academy of St. Clair County

Note: Sodders, Betty (edited and designed by Don Weeks). Michigan on Fire. 1997: Thunder Bay Press.

Articles in this series:

No comments: