Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Michigan fires of the late 19th and early 20th centuries: 1908 Metz Fire


Like the other fires that I have written about in this series, the months leading up to the 1908 Metz fire were extremely dry. The cause of the 1908 Metz Fire (October 15, 1908) may never be known (Sodders, 1997: 262). At least 26 people died in the fire, 83 families lost their homes and 1,500 people were either homeless or without food and supplies (Sodders, 1997:285). approximately 2,370,000 acres burned with an estimated damage of $2.5 Million Dollars (Sodders, 1997:294).

In the course of reading Sodder's book as well as accounts of the Peshtigo Fire, the stories of the suffering of those who died as well as those who survived are difficult to read. 

I thought that there could be no new horrors until I read Sodders account of the 1908 Metz Fire with excerpts from period Newspapers, I was horrified to read of flames surrounding a rescue train a short distance from Metz. Twelve people, all women and children who had hoped to be rescued died, burned alive. (Sodders, 1997: 263).  I write this to honor those women and children who died on that train. The accounts were horrible, and I was not comfortable reading the accounts. But I knew that I had to read Sodders reporting on the tragedy of the rescue train to honor those who died. I write this to honor all who died.

Note: Sodders, Betty (edited and designed by Don Weeks). Michigan on Fire. 1997: Thunder Bay Press.


Articles in this series:

No comments: