Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Michigan fires of late 19th and early 20th centuries: Introduction

I wrote a post yesterday on the research I have been doing on fires the burned in Michigan in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Today I write an introduction and preliminary timeline for this series of articles.




I learned a little more about the Michigan Fires of the late 19th and early 20th century was reading Stephen Pyne’s chapter on “Sky of Brass, Earth of Ash: A fire History of the Lake States" (199-21) in his book,  Fire in America (1997). Pyne's chapter served as a good lead into Sodder's book, Michigan on Fire. I would suggest that anyone interested in learning more about the Michigan Fires of the late 19th and early 20th centuries find a copy of this book and read it. It is a good and thorough account with many primary sources from those who witnessed and/or covered the fires for various period newspapers.

In writing this series, I plan to write an article on each of the fires Sodder's covers in her book: 1871, 1881, 1896, 1908, and 1911. In most cases, there were many fires in each year. After providing a brief synopsis and perhaps some relevant links to other articles or videos, I write about one thing about each fire(s) that left an impression on me.

I want to pause and offer one thing that I was to learn from Sodders. That is, Alpena is one of the towns that burned in the fires of 1911 (Sodders, 1997, 327). Alpena is a city in Alpena County bordering Thunder Bay on Lake Huron in Michigan. At the some point something clicked and I realized that it was the Alpena Community College that responded to my inter-library loan request. I am quite certain that the staff of the Alpena Community College Library had no idea why I was interested in Sodder’s book. However, when I learned that Alpena was affected by the 1911 fires, I felt a connection with them as if they were somehow involved in what I am trying to do. I returned the book to my library on December 3rd for transport back to Alpena, I wrote them a thank-you letter telling them why I was interested in their book and about my blog. 

As I read Sodder’s book and did other background research on the internet for this series of articles on Michigan Fires from 1871 to 1911, I learned a little about Michigan geography and a small sense of what life was like in the later half of 19th century. At the same time, I am quite aware that the fact that I am in New Jersey during a pandemic and for various reasons am unable to travel to Michigan, that I am at somewhat of a disadvantage.

The U.S. Census Bureau has a map that I am sharing of Michigan with counties that I found useful. If you have trouble reading the map, please feel free to click on the link and you will be taken to a pdf file that you might be able to enlarge. 

Obtained on December 15, 2021 from https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/general_ref/stco_outline/cen2k_pgsz/stco_MI.pdf

Notes: 
1. Pyne, Stephen J. Fire in America. 1997: University of Washington Press
2. Sodders, Betty (edited and designed by Don Weeks). Michigan on Fire. 1997: Thunder Bay Press.


Articles in this series:



No comments: