Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Walk around Conair's Convair CV 580 and Lockheed L-188 Airtankers

 While I am not a pilot, I am what I call an aviation enthusiast. To that end I do enjoy seeing the workings of airtankers up close and personal. I rarely get such a view, depending for the most part on videos. I do not quite recall how I came across the video that I am sharing with you by Mile High Aviation on a walk around Conair Aviation's Convair 580 and Lockheed L-188 Electra airtankers with retired pilot John Lord. Allow over 16 minutes for the entire video.

I am reasonably certain that Conair is still flying Convair 580 airtankers. I am not sure if Conair is still flying Lockheed L-188 Electra airtankers. I am uncertain of when the video was filmed.

Correction (February 1, 2023) I made an error in this post. The Convair 580 air tankers were still flying in 2022, but that was their last fire season. In early 2021 Conair made plans to retire the Convair 580 air tankers and the Lockheed L-188  at the end of the 2022 season. They will be replaced by Q-400s, see this January 2021 post on Fire Aviation for more information

Enjoy the video


Direct link to video by Mile High Aviation (uploaded by Aviation Whys)  on YouTube

No comments: