Friday, October 07, 2022

About the National Wildland Fire Preparedness Levels and the Fire Danger Rating System in the United States

Obtained from https://www.nifc.gov/fire-information#current-level on October 10, 2022


Edited on October 10, 2022

I was looking at the NWS IMET Office on Twitter  earlier today where I noted on September 27th the National Wildland Fire Preparedness Level (NWFPL) was lowered to a rating of 2 (go here to see the post on Twitter). Now I did have something else in mind for today where I was going to start out by referencing that same post from the NWS IMET Office and I am holding off on that post for the moment. I know about the National Wildland Fire Preparedness Level (see the graphic and link above) because I see this referred to on social media wildland fire agencies. I also know that there is the National Fire Danger Rating System (NFDRS)  used by wildland firefighters. Now I have to be honest and say that I am not certain of the similarities between the NWFPL and the NFDRS. However, I was curious about the NFDRS and found a video that I thought you might be interested in, I know that I was. I found the one I was looking for from the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG). While the video seems to be focused on being a training aid for wildland firefighters, I think that watching this 10 minute video will give you an idea about what the different catagories in the NFDRS are and what they mean, and how the NFDRS is used by federal and state wildland fire fighting agencies.



No comments: