Monday, October 03, 2022

New Jersey helping with recovery from Hurricane Ian

I have been following the aftermath of Hurricane Ian more than I usually do because I have some friends who had houses on the Florida gulf coast barrier islands of Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel. All my friends are alive and evacuated while others are winter residents and had not yet gone to their winter homes.

I am always interested in what New Jersey does to help other states in need after disasters. In part because I know for a fact that other states have helped us out be sending utility crews after storms. One example being the Florida electric utility crew that helped to restore power to my neighborhood after Superstorm Sandy the fall of 2012. So I was delighted when I heard from reliable sources, sorry I have no media articles to show you, that New Jersey electric utilities have sent trucks and crews down to Florida to help them restore power. In addition, the New Jersey Red Cross has sent a team down to Florida, see this article from News 12 New Jersey for more information

Just this morning, thanks to the NJ Forest Fire Service Section B10, I saw the following video showing footage of the deployment of New Jersey Task Force 1 to Florida on October 1, 2022. According to their website The New Jersey Task Force 1 is one of 28 FEMA urban search and rescue teams in the country.

Direct link to video from Shane Branin on YouTube


I know that other states have sent various teams to help Florida and South Carolina recover from the aftermath of Hurricane Ian. Even so, I am so very proud of New Jersey for helping out Florida in their time of great need after the devastation of Hurricane Ian.

No comments: