Friday, December 16, 2022

Changes in Wildfire Today and Fire Aviation websites

I have sad news to report about Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today and Fire Aviation. Bill is ill with pancreatic cancer. Many of you follow Bill's reporting on wildfires and fire aviation and probably already know this news. Bill I am holding you and your family in the light. According to this December 9th post on Wildfire Today Bill is giving his rights to both sites to the International Association of Wildland Fire:

The WildfireToday site was launched in January 2008 and the FireAviation website followed four years later in 2012. 'I have long had a passion for wildland fire,' says Mr. Gabbert, 'and it requires continuous learning. I’ve always been a student of wildfire, and I wanted to create a venue for the fire community that encouraged students of wildfire. I am certain that I don’t want that venue squandered. I therefore have decided to give all rights to both websites to the International Association of Wildland Fire. The IAWF shares my values, and my commitment to preserving these two websites and 15 years of collected data, knowledge, and experience gathered from thousands of people who share our passion for wildland fire.'

Those of you who are not familiar with this transition in Wildfire Today and Fire Aviation may want to read the entire December 9th post on Wildfire Today I understand that this transition will take a little time and I look forward to continuing to follow both Wildfire Today and Fire Aviation. Both sites have always been among my go to places for reporting on wildfires and fire aviation, and it is only fitting to pause and thank Bill for his fifteen years of reporting and to say that I will continue to follow both sites under the reporting of the IAWF. 

No comments: