Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Mary Barr: first female pilot flying for the US Forest Fire Service

In my wonderings around the internet over the years, I suspect that I had heard of Mary Barr, the first woman who flew for the US Forest Fire Service (USFS). I admit that it was an oversight that I did not make a note about Mary Barr to write about her in my blog. Perhaps there was a reason why this happened as just today I was on social media and noticed that in August of 2022, Mary's daughters -- Molly and Nevada -- were on National Public Radio's Story Corps. Mary, who died in 2010, flew as a contract pilot for the USFS before flying as a lead plane pilot full time in 1974, she also flew smokejumpers for a short time. She was one of the first four women to fly in the Reno Air Races. Wikipedia has a short bio on Mary Barr that may be found here.

Story Corp did provide an embed code and I hoped to be able to embed the actual interview here for easy listening. Unfortunately, the embed code does not work. That happens sometimes. However you can listed to the four minute Story Corp interview at this direct link to the Story Corp interview where Mary and Nevada talk about their Mother, Mary Barr.

I would have enjoyed knowing Mary. I have much respect and appreciation for women like Mary Barr who helped pave the way for other women in aviation. 

No comments: