Monday, December 12, 2022

Grindstone Fire in Pilot Mountain NC: one year later

 I do try to pay special attention to wildfires in the eastern and southern United States. So I took special notice of the video that was posted by my friends at the NJ Forest Service Section B10 website who posted a 17 minute video from the North Carolina Forest Fire Service on the one-year anniversary of the wildfire in the Pilot Mountain State Park. I have not been to the Pilot Mountain area of North Carolina, but I have visited other areas in the mountains of North Carolina. 

The wildfire on Pilot Mountain, aka the Grindstone Fire, was first reported on Nov. 27, 2021 in a remote area of the park. The fire eventually burned 1,050 acres. I wrote three articles on this fire last year, with my final article being on December 3, 2021

I was very interested in this video on the fire from the NC Forest Service. Not only did I learn about the origin of the wildfire and the difficulties in finding the ignition point of the fire. They talk about the history and importance of prescribed burning in Pilot Mountain. I was perhaps most interested where they talked about how the vegetation and wildlife came back after the fire.


Direct link to video from the NCForestService on YouTube

No comments: