Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Inside a Heavy Lift Marine Corp Helicopter Deploying a Bucket

I had something else in mind for today's blog post, but that will have to wait for another day. I was perusing the NJ Forest Fire Service Section B10 website this morning, something I do on an almost daily basis because they post videos a few videos about wildland and structure firefighting on a daily basis. I found a very nice video featuring Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron (HMH) 466, Marine Aircraft Group (MAG) 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (MAW), along with other units from 3rd MAW, I Marine Expeditionary Force in a wildland fire training exercise with local firefighters at Camp Pendleton. The focus of the video is on installing and then deploying a bucket on one of their heavy lift helicopters. I am intrigued by this video because I saw the Marines working with the bucket from inside the helicopter. I thought that some of you might be interested in this video. I know that military aviation resources are often called upon to assist wildland firefighters when necessary. When this Marine Aircraft Wing, which is based in San Diego County, CA gets the call to send their heavy helicopters to assist wildland firefighters do they only fly fires in California?

Enjoy the video.


Direct link to video from Defense Now on YouTube

No comments: