Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Wildfire History: 2003 Cedar Fire (San Diego County, CA)

 In case anyone is wondering, I made an error in my first blog post today where I tried to embed a Facebook post on Santa Ana Winds in Southern California. Unfortunately that did not work out so I m here again with a slightly different post. 

One of the wildfires that I have heard about over the years that I have been writing this blog is the 2003 Cedar Fire that burned 280,278 acres in San Diego County, 28,676 acres burned in the City of San Diego. and. The fire was started on October 25, 2003 by a lost hunter in the Cleveland National Forest, 25 miles east of San Diego. Fifteen people died as a result of the Cedar Fire and 2,820 buildings were destroyed. I need to be honest and say that the Cedar Fire was not on my mind until a close friend who lives in San Diego County and supports my work on this blog sent me this article by Teri Figueroa for the San Diego Tribune. Figueroa wrote a nice article on the history of the Cedar Fire along with some reflections from some folk who lived through that fire.

My sister lives in the San Diego area, I do think about this fire from time to time, so I post this to say that I won't forget. May those who died in this fire rest in peace and prayers for their family and friends on this day. Kudos to all the firefighters who worked this fire.

The video that I share below is from CBS 8 San Diego, they are reporting on the Cedar Fire all week, I believe that the video report below is dated October 25, 2023.


Direct link to video from CBS 8 San Diego on YouTube

No comments: