Friday, November 17, 2023

2023 New Jersey Wildfire Season: More Prescribed Burns


On November 13th, I shared photos from a prescribed burn that New Jersey Forest Fire Service crews conducted in Sussex County on November 11th, I continue writing about prescribed burns today. I do try to check out the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) on social media on most days because it is one of the ways that I can see what the NJFFS is doing or what is of interest to them at the moment. This week, I noticed two posts on consecutive days about prescribed burns that the NJFFS conducted on those days. Knowing that the NJFFS may conduct prescribed burns in the fall, I went to the NJFFS Prescribed Burns Information Page to find out exactly when the prescribed burn season is in New Jersey. I clicked on "planning" on that page and see that the prescribed burn season in New Jersey runs from October 1st to March 31st, in the following excerpt from this page you will learn a little about planning considerations:

Prescribed burning is a job requiring knowledge of forest fuels, fire behavior, suppression techniques, local weather conditions, and fires effects. Consequently, a written plan must be developed well in advance of the proposed burn to allow time for review and the preparation of all necessary permits. 

Planning considerations include a site map depicting the burn area, objectives and techniques; ranges of preferred weather conditions (wind, temperature, relative humidity); smoke management considerations (developed areas, highways); burning techniques, equipment and manpower needs, emergency suppression procedures, permit requirements and notification procedures. New Jersey's prescribed burning season is limited to the period between October 1 and March 31. 

I am very thankful that the NJFFS has a good prescribed burning program that helps to reduce fuels. I know that after planning and preparation for the burn that the crews work to do the burn safely and without impacting the public. I myself have seen road signs when I have been driving in or near an area with a prescribed burn letting drivers know of the prescribed burn. And their may be additional warnings so nearby residents know that a prescribed burn is happening.

 Thank-you New Jersey Forest Fire Service.


No comments: