Monday, November 20, 2023

2023 Wildfire Season: Matts Creek Fire


Direct link to video from WSLS 10 on YouTube

A friend of mine contacted me early this past weekend to ask me if I knew about a wildfire that was burning in or near the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia because she had been in touch with a friend who lives near that wildfire. She told me that at the time it was at 2 percent containment and her friend was reporting that the nearby schools were closed due to smoke. I believe, but am not sure that the wildfire my friend was telling me about is the Matts Creek Fire that at that time was at 2 percent containment. I promised my friend that I would keep an eye on the Matts Creek Fire, hence this post.

The video that I embedded above was done prior to the latest update (November 20th) from incident command which reports that the Matts Creek Fire has burned 10,106 acres and is at 27 percent containment. There are road closures in place, and trails in and near the fire area are closed. Here is an excerpt from the November 20th update:

In the northeastern portion of the fire, near Snowden, crews continued to improve fire lines and the area is looking very good and forward progression has stopped. Crews will search for and extinguish any “hot spots” in logs, stumps and under the ground.

In the southeastern portion of the fire near Big Island and Powells Store, fire activity was minimal.  Firefighters patrolled the area and removed fire-damaged trees. 

In the southwestern area fire lines have held well, increasing containment to 27 percent.

Firefighters continued to watch the Hercules Fire, a small fire that started yesterday across the James River. A local volunteer fire department had responded and contacted crews on the night shift for additional help. The fire was slightly under one acre in size. Crews will continue to monitor this fire throughout the day.

Here are some maps starting with two Google Earth images. The fire is near Snowden, Virginia. I then share a map of the Matts Creek Fire.






 

obtained on November 20, 2023 from https://inciweb.wildfire.gov/incident-maps-gallery/vavaf-matts-creek-fire




No comments: