Wednesday, February 07, 2024

2024 NJFFS Prescribed Burns: February 7th Update

 It is late winter here in New Jersey and that means that the New Jersey Forest Fire Service is ramping up to do prescribed burns. The prescribed burning season is from October 1 to March 31, see the NJ Forest Fire Service About Prescribed Burn Page and click on planning. I know that the NJ Forest Fire Service did at least two prescribed burns on February 5th, both in Ocean County.


I follow the NJ Forest Fire Service on Facebook where prescribed burns happening on a specific day may be listed, as is the case for February 5th prescribed burns. The New Jersey Forest Fire Service has a map of prescribed fire notifications listing active and scheduled prescribed burns that may be found here. To learn more about prescribed burns see this 2023 news release from the NJ Forest Fire Service.

I can say that over the years that when I have driven in or through areas where a prescribed burn is being conducted there is signage alerting drivers and while I have never driven on a road that was temporarily closed to a prescribed burn, I assume that there is road closed signage with detours posted. 

I am updating this post to embed a post below from the NJ Forest Fire Service notifying us of prescribed burns scheduled for today, February 7th.


Finally, The NJ Forest Fire Service Sections A7/8 shared a notice from the Mercer County Park Commission on their Facebook page this morning. Their Facebook page requires that you have a Facebook account so out of deference to those of you who are not on Facebook, I am not including the link to their site but I am embedding the post from the Mercer County Park Commission:


No comments: