Wednesday, February 28, 2024

2024 Wildfire Season: Texas Panhandle and NW Oklahoma


Direct link to video from ABC News on YouTube


Direct link to video from News9 on YouTube


When I was checking my newsfeed on my devices this morning I noted an article in the top portion of the feed on wildfires in the Panhandle of Texas. The article I saw is from USA Today, Texas wildfire becomes second largest in state history, burning 500,000 acres (February 28th), I noted that Gov. Abbot declared a disaster in 60 Texas counties, that evacuations are in place with residences being destroyed. The largest wildfire, the Smokehouse Fire (Inciweb) started on Monday, February 26th and has burned 500,000 acres, evacuation are in place and there are road closures in the area. 

Seeing the USA Today article on the wildfires in the Texas Panhandle prominently placed in my newsfeed, I went to newspapers that I subscribe to and noted this February 28th New York Times article (gifted for 10 days) on wildfires in the Texas Panhandle and Northwestern Oklahoma with a short video and a smoke forecast map and a report on a hospital in Canadian, Texas (Hemphill County) being evacuated Tuesday afternoon. 

I then checked the Washington Post which has updates (dated February 28th) on the wildfires in the Texas Panhandle, that may be found here (gifted for 10 days). Among other things reporting that some evacuations have been lifted and the Pantex Plant which was closed on Tuesday has reopened Wednesday morning.

The NY Times articles references some wildfires in adjoining areas of Oklahoma, this got me curious about what is happening in the adjoining area of Oklahoma, so I found a nice article on The Oklahoman (which I hope has no paywall) that has some information about the wildfires currently burning in Oklahoma along with photos and a nice map that you can access showing wildfires in Oklahoma, Texas, and nearby states. The map I saw was updated on Feb 28th at about 10 AM local time. The Oklahoman reports that a portion of the Smokehouse Fire has crossed into adjoining northwest Oklahoma.

I'd like to thank my friends at the NJ Forest Fire Service Section B10 who shared the two videos that I embedded at the beginning of this post on their website on February 28th

Note: on the gifted articles from the New York Times and the Washington Post, hopefully the links do give you free access for ten days from February 28th, with free access stopping on or about March 9th. 

No comments: