Friday, February 09, 2024

2024 Wildfire Season: Wildfire in Chile Feb 9th update

On February 5th I wrote about the wildfires in Chile, see my Feb 5th post, and I am writing to provide an update. I want to give a shout out to Mike Archer of Wildfire News of the Day for his February 8th WNOTD where he included the two articles about the wildfires in Chile that I am referring to in this post. But first, I know from the following post on Facebook recently shared by Coulson Aviation that Coulson continues to have a presence in Chile with at least one tanker deployed to Chile. According to Coulson's November 14th (2023) press release, one of their C-130's and crew plus a Citation 550 departed to serve in the Summer wildfire season in Chile. While I do not know for certain, I think it is logical to assume that Coulson's C-130 flew these recent wildfires in Coulson if conditions allowed.



A February 7th Barron's article on the Chile wildfires reported that

Firefighters said Wednesday they had extinguished all wildfires in Chile's coastal region of Valparaiso, where flames razed entire communities and left 131 dead.

The forest emergency that began on February 2 is considered to have been overcome,' said the fire department in the seaside resort town Vina del Mar, one of the worst-hit areas.

The Barron's article goes on to report that local officials say that something in the order of 15,000 homes have been impacted by these wildfires. I am not sure if Barrons has a paywall for this article, I was able to access this article.

The APNews has a nice photo spread of images of the Chile wildfires, see their February 7th article.


No comments: