Friday, August 16, 2024

Hawaii Mars Retired to British Columbia Aviation Museum


Back in late 2009 when I first started writing about aerial wildland firefighting, I was watching live stream of wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air working a large wildfire in the Los Angeles area. I was mesmorized when I first saw the Hawaii Mars working the fire. My friend Tom Janney was available over e-mail and the telephone he told me about the Hawaii Mars, one of two Martin Mars still active at the time and owned by Coulson Aviation. I watched the stream for several minutes. I recall that she went around once or twice before starting her run to drop on the wildfire. Watching her was one of the most incredible experiences, something I remember to this day almost 15 years later.

Coulson announced several months ago that the Hawaii Mars would be donated to the British Columbia Aviation Museum, the preparatory work was done ahead of schedule prepare her for the flight and to be sure she was in good shape was completed ahead of schedule, see this June 24th news release from Coulson.  Once the museum has the Hawaii Mars up and running at the end of September 2024 visitors will be able to see her up close in person. I understand that the Province of British Columbia is providing a $250,000 grant to the museum to protect and preserve the Hawaii Mars. For more information see this article from CBC Canada (with video). She departed Port Alberni on August 12th for the flight to Victoria, British Columbia near where the museum is located. Unfortunately I am not able to embed the video that I found on Coulson Facebook Page, but I can link to the video reel on Coulson's Facebook Page

As she neared the museum in Victoria, she was accompanied by the Canadian Forces Snowbirds.



Hawaii Mars and all that flew you and maintain you to help fight wildfires, thank-you for your service. Hawaii Mars, I miss you and am very happy that you have a home at the British Columbia Aviation Museum.

No comments: