Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Aero Union P-3's - I miss you



Four days ago (see this article from chicoer.com), I heard that Aero Union laid off their employees. When I first heard that the US Forest Service terminated its contract with Aero Union on July 29th, I was hoping for another outcome, that something could be worked out to get Aero Union's P-3 tankers back in the air. But it seems my hopes, our hopes did not come to pass. Pilots, crew and others at Aero Union have been laid off.

I know enough about the business of aerial wildland firefighting to know that for many of you, who you are is about flying tankers or fixing tankers or performing other ground support operations. And of course, you are now without a job in an already tough economic climate.

You did great work flying fires. While I have never seen you in person, so to speak, I have watched you fly fires on live stream at fires such as the Station Fire in 2009. It was awesome to watch you lay down a line of retardant on a fire, knowing that you might be able to come around again and drop the rest of your retardant before going back to base to reload. Knowing how much you were helping the crews on the ground fight the fire.

You will be missed.

In my own way, I am writing this for all affected by the lay offs at Aero Union, to let you know that I care. And it stinks.

I am not embarrassed to say that I have shed a few tears for you.

No comments: