Friday, August 12, 2011

About the Eagle Fire



This is some footage, about eight minutes worth, of aerial operations at the Eagle Fire that burned in San Diego County CA in July 2011. Among other reasons, I was interested in this particular fire because I have some family that recently moved to southern CA, so I have been paying closer attention to fires in southern CA. Also, the fire was large enough that I heard of it while I had limited e-mail and internet access in late July. So, I was curious about finding out a little more about the fire.

The fire, attributed to arson, eventually burned about 14,100 acres before being brought under control on July 30. For a summary of information about this fire, see this CAL FIRE page. I understand that one of the DC-10 tankers was activated for this fire.

The fire was still burning when the P-3's were grounded on July 29th. I am not certain if if any of Aero Union's P-3's were working the fire along with the S-2T's from CAL FIRE.

A thread on the wildland fire hotlist forums may be found here. Bill Gabbert of wildfire today has posted pictures of the Eagle fire, in three parts (so far), part 1, part 2, and part 3.

No comments: