Saturday, August 27, 2011

Irene: Incident Management Teams and Hurricane Hunter Aircraft

Still here. Outer band of Irene starting to impact very southern NJ as I write this, We are due to see brunt of Irene starting late tonight into tomorrow (Sunday) early afternoon. Two things just came across my electronic desk that I want to share with you.

Many of you may have heard various weather media talk about the hurricane hunting aircraft that fly into (or over?) the hurricanes to make readings. These are two specially equipped P-# Orion aircraft, named Miss Piggy and Kermit. NOAA has a webpage where you can and find out more about Miss Piggy and Kermit, here.

Last but in no means least, I understand from Bill Gabbert's article on wildfiretoday that two national incident management teams have been activated to help us out in the northeast with Irene. One may go to New York, and the other may go to Boston. Grew up in the Boston burbs and experienced Hurricane Donna when I was six. I remember that one cause Donna cancelled my first day of first grade. And I lived in New York City many moons ago. Currently live in NJ. Thank-you to all the crew of these two incident management teams from the bottom of my heart. And the northeast thanks you.

Bill's article on the activation of these incident management teams may be found here.

No comments: