Monday, September 14, 2015

Valley and Butte wildfires in California

I have been hearing on a couple of media outlets about the destruction of the Valley and Butte wildfires in California. As I write this, I understand from the CAL FIRE active fire list webpage that the Valley Fire has burned 61,000 acres and is at 5 percent containment. The links from the CAL FIRE active fire list for more information on each fire were not working as I write this, perhaps their website is overloaded with requests.

The Butte Fire has burned 71,063 acres and is at 30 percent containment. Hundreds of residences have been destroyed and firefighters have been injured.

At this point the only thing that I can say beyond what I have written is that words escape me. I feel that anything beyond offering thoughts and prayers to all fighting and affected by these fires is wholly inadequate.

Should you want more information on these fires, Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today has been doing his usual excellant job reporting on the fires: Valley Fire, four firefighters burned on the Valley Fire, and the Butte Fire.

Stay safe everyone!

No comments: