Thursday, August 10, 2006

A walk with no batteries and hot air ballons

As I write this I am on another hiatus. I am hoping that I will have an Internet connection in our hotel where I can upload this and other entries to this blog. If you are like me, you have a list of things that you want to get done, both for work and around your house, before you go on hiatus. Well, one of the things on my list was to get my digital camera, avail myself of slightly cooler temperatures, and take a walk on the section of the canal north of Lambertville where I reported seeing debris in a recent blog entry.

I thought I was so smart. I dragged my friend with me for company, and we drove to Lambertville, finding a place to park not all that far from the first place where I saw the debris. After about a ten-minute walk, I saw a larger piece of debris just before the canal crosses under a railroad bridge. I got out my camera. And nothing happened. I tried again. Nothing. Then I looked down at my camera and say the words that I feared, “recharge your battery.”

I was not happy, but I knew immediately what had happened. The week before, I went to a balloon festival not far from my house to watch an early morning balloon launch. I took my camera, and because the balloons were launching and flying over where we seated, I took a lot of pictures (75). Because I kept zooming in and out, I used up my battery. And I didn’t recharge. Dumb.

So, I still have to go back and take pictures of debris for you. And I will. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near Lambertville, NJ at the moment. Since I did promise you some pictures, I have uploaded a couple of pictures from the ballon festival.

No comments: