Thursday, July 05, 2007

How was your trip?

How was your trip?

This seems like a very simple question. I've been going on vacations and the occasional trip out of town for business for a number of years now. Never have I not known how to answer this seemingly simple question. Until now.

The simple truth is that I do not know how to respond. How do I talk about the emotional exhaustion that I still feel and the depth of unending poverty that we saw and the resultant feeling of despair that I am left with? How do I explain that in the midst of the horrors of the poverty that we experienced good times traveling together as a group and did experience joy? How do I sum all this up in the one minute response that I usually give when asked this question. There is no simple answer that honors all that I have seen, the wonderful people that I traveled with, the people that we met, the poverty that we saw, and the very great needs of so many.

Ok, I am still processing all that I saw, and I am not ready to answer that question. I know that in time, I will have an answer to this question, one that I can speak.

I am very grateful for this web log and for all of you who have followed along with my as I wrote about journey to Malawi. And I intend to keep blogging about Malawi as I continue to process things over the days and weeks ahead.

Perhaps the best answer is the one that I have already used:

"I'm glad to be home."

1 comment:

Random Ramblings NJ said...

In an earlier version of the blog I wrote about feeling despair from feeling like I can do nothing to help those living in poverty in Malawi. A few days ago I received an e-mail from a friend that lead me to think about what I wrote, what I was trying to say, and how I came across. As a result, I have edited this post.