Monday, July 09, 2007

More on Bwaila (aka Bottom) Hospital

Well before I left for Malawi, I knew from reading e-mailed journals of a physician who traveled in 2006 to Malawi with Don and Mary Thomas that there was a shortage of physicians in Malawi and that most Malawi hospitals had shortages of supplies that hospitals in developed countries take for granted, things like sutures, sterile gloves and the like.

Being well meaning, if somewhat naive, I set about to try to do something to help. It seemed to me that the easiest way that I might be able to help was to find a way to provide some medical supplies to Malawi hospitals and clinics. I was about ready to give up on this quest when I ran into the husband of someone from my parish who is working as a physician's assistant in a major medical center in the mid-atlantic region of America. He confirmed what I had I come to suspect, that it is far easier to obtain medical supplies for donation to hospitals and health clinics in need if you are on the inside. And he offered to help, saying he has done this before. I was thrilled.

When we visited Bottom Hospital, recently renamed Bwaila Hospital on our first full day in Malawi and met with Dr. Meguid, I was extremely moved by his impassioned description of massive human rights violations at his hospital because of staffing shortages and facilities shortages. I wanted to help, so I stuck my hand up, told him of my friend at a US hospital who was willing to try to help gather needed medical supplies to send to his hospital. I asked what was needed. His answer was simple and astounded me. He said that their biggest need was people (i.e. medical personal who can come and help).

It was his need for people that stuck in my head, in part because for various reasons, I am not a person who can provide the help that they so desperately need. And I am not just saying that because I have no medical training, there are other reasons that I am not going into here that prohibit me from offering to help Bottom hospital. It is hard to explain to those of you who have never been to Bottom Hospital why this simple statement of need had such a profound impact. Perhaps because it speaks to the depth of their need. In any case, this simple statement of need by Dr. Mequid coupled with my apparent inability to help him added to my despair.

I have come to realize that I do not the effect that writing about what about what I saw in Malawi might have. I can not help Dr. Mequid directly, but perhaps my words will stir the heart of those of you out their who might be in a position to help directly.

I was not sure at first why he did not speak to the need for medical supplies. I found out towards the end of my stay in Malawi that shipping things overseas is a very big deal, as even simple shipments can get tied up in customs requiring people time on both ends. And that doesn't even address the shipping costs involved, which can be prohibitive. I understand that there is at least one organization that helps ease the costs involved in shipping medical supplies overseas, but this may not address the issue of time required of the staff of the overseas hospital on the receiving end. I did not find out much about the "administrative staff" at Bottom hospital. I suspect that they are just as overwhelmed as the medical staff is. Perhaps receiving a relatively small amount of medical supplies from an overseas donor is not worth the staff time required to deal with customs? This is just a speculation.

As I was preparing to write this entry, I said to myself that I should go back to the handwritten journal that I kept while on my trip to be sure that I don't miss anything and that I get it right. I found two things listed in my notes about what Dr. Meguid said his hospitals biggest needs are. The first on the list is people, that is the one I remembered. The second thing I noted is a pool of money for decent salaries.

At this point, I don't have an idea of how to get money to Bottom Hospital if I were to know of a large pool of money for decent salaries. And I have spent time searching to no avail. However, I have found that people who are in a position to help another person is usually able to find a way to connect with the person and organization in need. So, I can trust the process so to speak.

Oh, and speaking of people who can help. I may have written about the young married couple, Adam and Rachel who were a part of the group of Malawi travelers. Adam and Rachel are planning to stay in Malawi through Sept. 20. Adam is a licensed practical nurse, I think. He wants to volunteer as does Rachel. They both want to help and spoke to Dr. Meguid about this about a week after I left. He is going to speak the Matron at Bottom hospital. I assume that the Matron is the person in charge.



No comments: