Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Aerial Agricultural Operations

As some regular readers of this blog know, I got interested in aerial agricultural operations last year and with the help from my friends at Downstown Aero, I have begun to learn more about the world of aerial agricultural operations. Last year I subscribed to Ag Air Update, a publication of the National Agricultural Aviation Association (NAAA). I encourage any of you who are interested in learning about agricultural aviation to check out either site. Ag Air Update has a weekly Ag Air e-mailed news update that I subscribed to a while back, if you are interested, you may subscribe on the Ag Air Update homepage.

I'll be writing about ag aviation from time to time, including but not limited to what my friends at Downstown Aero are up to. At present Downstown is in their busy spraying season, spraying blueberries and cranberries. Rains and winds have meant that they have to do catch up work in order to keep on track. I hope to go down to the Pine Barrens in the next week or so to get a first hand view of what they are doing and to get some pictures. 

You may recall that Downstown has a contract with the New Jersey Forest Fire Service to provide SEATs during the spring fire season. When Downstown's SEAT's are finished with the spring fire season, they are used for aerial spraying operations.

I learned about the two videos that I am embedding below from this weekly Ag News weekly news update. They are trailers for an Australian documentary on aerial agriculture called Seasons. There is some great footage of aerial agricultural operations that I thought you might enjoy. 

Watch this one first:

Then watch this video:

No comments: