Monday, June 03, 2013

Powerhouse Fire (Southern CA) - update #4

I've been spending a lot of time continuing to look around to find footage of tankers and helos working the Powerhouse Fire for you. Earlier today I was reading about the Powerhouse Fire somewhere on the internet and saw a reference to a nice video of T-911, one of the DC-10 tankers, dropping on the Powerhouse Fire. So, I went on some TV news sites from Los Angeles and found this video with some footage of T-911 from KABC in Los Angeles (from a late night broadcast on Sunday June 2).

I've been having some trouble with the embed code from KABC, it works in chrome and safari on my Mac but not in firefox. The direct link worked at the time I posted this article.


According to the latest inciweb update for this fire (this page is updated periodically so you may find different information) the fire has burned 29,584 acres and is at 40% containment.

Southern California Public Radio (89.3 KPPC) has a couple of nice pages of photos, from a report on Sunday, June 2 and more photos from their most recent report earlier today (Monday, June 3). Last night I watched about 30 to 45 minutes of live stream from a news helo over the Powerhouse Fire. Some of the tankers were a little hard to identify with certainty because of the distance, but I think I saw some of CAL FIRE's S-2T tankers. I took the photo below last year when I visited Ramona AAB

CAL FIRE S2-T, T-70 at Ramona AAB

And I did see a really nice close-up of one of Neptune Aviation's  P2-V airtankers. I believe it was  T-07, but even if I got the wrong tanker it was one of Neptunes P2-V's.

I wrote earlier articles on the Powerhouse Fire on

Friday, May 31
Sunday, June 2 (12:50 PM EDT)
Sunday, June 2 (6 PM EDT)  {videos include some footage of tankers and helos working the fire}


No comments: