Friday, June 21, 2013

Reflections on a special flying boat, the Hawaii Mars (aka the Martin Mars)


Yesterday I saw an article from Canadian Skies reporting that this summer (2013) may be the last summer that Coulson's Martin Mars (known as the Hawaii Mars) may be on contract with the British Columbia Forest Service (BCFS). That is, it seems that this may the last summer that the Hawaii Mars is on what is known as a direct-award contract with the BCFS. Unfortunately, the Canadian Skies article is no longer available online (revised on Oct. 12, 2015) I found another article, this one from the Times Colonist (dated May 10, 2013) reporting that 2013 is the last summer that the Hawaii Mars will be awarded a direct-award contract from the BCFS. Finally, I found reference to another report this one from the Alberni Valley times (5/10/2013) Coulson's Martin Mars webpage, but was unable to access the Alberni Valley Times article. 

I don't wish to engage in speculation about the future of the Hawaii Mars, nor am I exactly in the position to have knowledge of how the BCFS contracts for aircraft used in wildland firefighting operations. I love the Hawaii Mars and you holds a special place in my heart. I have never seen you in person, I have a couple of videos showing you working fires at home. And I had the opportunity to watch a live stream of you firebombing run over Mt. Wilson on the Station Fire. The Mt. Wilson Observatory is a historic place that is near and dear to me, and Hawaii Mars you were but one of the aerial players working in support of the firefighters on the ground on the Station Fire. Together, all of you helped to save that special place. And other special places that I don't know about.

Hawaii Mars and crew, I love you. I know that all of you at Coulson who are a part of your team love you and take care of you to keep you in flying shape. You worked well on the wildfires in Mexico a year or so, I saw you in action in Mexico on Mighty Planes on cable. You have done good work in British Columbia in past years. And of course there is your work in the U.S.

I don't exactly know what to say. As I said, I won't engage in speculation. I want what is best for you and your crew.

Enjoy these two videos of the Martin Mars known as the Hawaii Mars doing what she does best. Allow about ten minutes to watch both videos.

Martin Mars taking off from Lake Elsinore in Southern CA (Nov 2007)

Martin Mars making drop on Mt. Wilson during aerial firebombing operations during the Station Fire, late Aug 2009 (Video is from ABC 7 in Los Angeles CA)
direct link to video on youtube

Revised on October 12, 2015

No comments: