Monday, June 10, 2013

British Columbia Forest Service: History of Aviation

As promised, I am following up on the article I posted on June 7, 2013
where I shared a link to a video history of the British Columbia Forest Service (BCFS). Today I will share links to information about the history of aviation in the British Columiba Forest Service.

Over a year ago a friend from British Columbia and retired tanker pilot told me about a three-part history of aviation in the BCFS that is available from the folk at the BC Forest Service Centenary Society. I have read most of this three part history which is chock full of some really great photographs. Here is the three part history (links to pdf files):

I share another historical video from BCFS100ca from the mid 1980s on fire management techniques In British Columbia, called On the Fire Line. This is the description from the video's about page:
Date produced: 1986
Description: An historical look at wildfire management techniques and technology at use in the mid 1980s. A perspective following the devastating 1985 fire season.
The video shows all aspects of fighting wildfires in British Columbia in 1985 including but not limited  to how Conair's tankers helped slow the spread of the wildfire in support of the firefighters on the ground. When I say all aspects, I mean just that from deploying ground resources, to behind the scenes fire management, to aerial resources, to how wildfires are fought and contained. to the role of the public, to a discussion of large fires, and more. While historic in nature with some great footage of Conair's airtanker fleet from the mid 1980s (DC-6 and Firecats), the message is timely. The 30 minutes that you will spend watching the video is well worth it. 

No comments: