Saturday, June 08, 2013

History of the British Columbia Forest Service

As some of you know, I have been spending some time learning more about aerial firefighting in Canada. I have always been a bit of a history buff, so I like to spend some time learning more about the history of the provincial forest services in Canada and their history.

I have a couple of friends from British Columbia, so I have naturally been interested in learning more about British Columbia.

One of my friends turned me on to a website celebrating the 100th anniversary of the British Columbia Forest Service, the British Columbia Forest Service's Centenary (BCFS) Website. I have spent some time exploring their site, and could easily spend hours more on this site. One of my friends from western Canada told me that they had some videos, so I went to this page on the BCFS Centenary Website and found a link to a 26 minute video where I learned about the history of the BC Forest Service. Embedding has been disabled by the folk from BCFS Centenary. You can go to youtube and watch this video (1988?) -- A Proud Past: the 75th Anniversary of the BC Forest Service.

On Monday June 9, I'll share some information from the BCFS Centenary Website on the history of aerial firefighting in British Columbia, so stay tuned.

No comments: