Friday, July 06, 2018

2018 Fire Season: Wildfires Burning in Western US

For the last few days I have been hard at work on some articles that I hope to post in a few days, stay tuned. In the meantime, I am aware of the wildfires burning in the Western United States.

I came across a nice New York Times article (limited free articles for non-subscribers) written by Thomas Fuller and Julie Turkewitz (with a video) on July 2nd. Thomas and Julie summarize 29 wildfires that were then burning in the Western United States. The title of the article uses the phrase, new normal, I certainly hope that this is not the new normal. But with the changing climate, I do wonder. Anyway, my thoughts and meditations are with all the wildland firefighters on the ground and in the air working these wildfires, support staff, and affected residents and business owners. I hope that everyone stays safe and heeds evacuation orders, whether they be mandatory or voluntary.

Among the wildfires burning out west are:




No comments: