Monday, July 30, 2018

NJ Forest Fire Service 2018 Crew Deployment: July 27th to CA and CO

The crew from the New Jersey Forest Fire Service that spent some time in Utah fighting wildfires, including but not necessarily limited to time spent fighting the Dollar Ridge Fire in Utan (see my July 13th article) is now back in New Jersey. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank this crew, which I believe was called NJS#1 (New Jersey State Crew # 1) for their service. I understand that they also worked widlfires in Idaho, Nevada, and Texas. I am proud that you represented New Jersey in helping our friends out west fight wildfires. More importantly that you came home safely to your family and friends. Thank-you.

On Friday, July 27th a second crew from the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJS#2) left from Newark-Liberty International and Philadelphia International bound for Colorado on what is expected to be a two-week assignment. As I understand it this crew was initially deployed to the Lake Christine Fire (Basalt, Colorado) that has burned 12,588 acres and is at 82 percent containment. According to the July 29th Eastern Area Interagency Resource Representative (IARR) Crew Report from the Eastern Area Coordination Center (updated daily while eastern area crews are out on assignment), the crew from New Jersey was demobilized from the Lake Christine Fire and on July 29th and was being deployed to the Whiskey Creek Fire (Baxter, CO). I understand that the Whiskey Creek Fire is a new start, so I am not surprised that I have not been able to find any information on this fire. I will do my best with the resources available to me, to find information on the Whiskey Creek fire and will update you at that time.

Also on Friday, July 27th two New Jersey Forest Fire Service engine crews left Friday afternoon July 27th to drive to California where they are expected to help out with the Carr Fire burning near Redding, California (98,724 acres at 20 percent containment). Two firefighters have died, and I understand from media reports that three civilians from the same family have died. Over 700 structures have been destroyed. Mandatory evacuations are in place. Images from Carr Fire, KRCR ABC7, Update from KRCR, Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today on Carr Fire (July 29th with links to his earlier articles)

I say again, that I am proud of the NJFFS crews that are currently working the Whiskey Creek Fire in Colorado and for our two engine crews heading to help fight the Carr Fire. State safe.

For more information on the New Jersey Forest Fire Service crew deployments out west on July 27th see this press release.

Please, please evacuate if you receive a mandatory evacuation order.

No comments: