Wednesday, August 29, 2018

IMETs in Action: What they do and August 27th through 29th Deployments

I like to post periodically about the great work that National Weather Service Incident Meteorologists (IMETs) do, see for example my August 10th post.

I have shared the video below before, but it bears repeating. Hear NWS Incident Meteorologist Jeremy Wolfe discuss what he does on a wildfire assignment.



direct link to video

For more on IMETs do, check out my post of July 21, 2017 on IMET training, my post of post August 15, 2016 about how IMETs use weather balloons. For a general overview of what IMETs do, see this article, Eyes on the Sky: A Day in the Life of an Incident Meteorologist. Safety is the number one mission of an IMET, see this August 18th post by the US National Weather Service IMET Facebook Page

Recent IMET balloon launch
US NWS Glasgow, Montana IMET and US NWS Anchorage, Alaska IMET write up with photos about balloon launch on the Goldstone Fire in Montana, video of balloon launch (As I write this the Gladstone Fire has burned 9,337 acres and is at 22 percent containment).

Now I want to share some IMET deployments since August 27th as posted on the US National Weather Service IMET Facebook Page.

August 27th Deployments



August 28th and 29th Deployments






No comments: